As 2020 comes to an end, I thought it be a good idea to give you an update on the activities of the Ticonderoga Alumni Association during a year that has been unlike any the world has ever seen.
- Scholarship Award Program- We met with the Senior Class to explain the award program on March 13th. That was the last day of normal instruction for Ticonderoga students. The school was forced to go virtual for the rest of the 2019-20 school year. The twenty seniors who applied for the award each received either $1000 or $750; the largest individual awards the Association has ever given. Graduates receive their checks when they complete their first semester at college or tech school or complete Advanced Individual Training (AIT) in the armed forces. We have just begun to mail checks. We have informed all the awardees that we realize their plans may been upset by the Covid 19 pandemic and will hold their awards until they are able to claim them.
- Alumni Connection Newsletter-Covid 19 also forced the delay in mailing our 2020 newsletter from late February to April. For 2021, we plan to mail in April. Our hope is that by spring we will know the status of the Alumni Extravaganza.
- Alumni Awards- Because Alumni Awards Night was cancelled this year, the Board of Directors felt it was best to honor those awardees in 2021 and not solicit additional nominations. We believe trying to honor two groups of Alumni and Friends in one night would detract from an event that has become a very special evening.
- Alumni Golf Tournament- The cancellation of the 2020 Tournament was a real financial loss to the Association. The proceeds from the tournament are used to cover our operating expenses (postage, printing, plaques, publicity, etc.) and maintain the Sentinel Support Fund which gives matching grants to teachers and students for educational projects. We were able recoup some of the loss by securing a $2000 grant from the Glenn and Carol Pearsall Adirondack Foundation to continue and expand the Sentinel Support Fund.
- Alumni Extravaganza- It broke our hearts to cancel the 2020 Extravaganza. If at all possible, we want to hold the events this year in late July.
There is still time to contribute to the Alumni Scholarship Award Program and be included in the 2021 Alumni Connection newsletter. Donations made through PayPal or checks received by mail by December 31st will receive recognition.
Although 2020 has been a difficult year for the Alumni Association, there have been so many others who have lost so much more.
Please stay safe & well,
President, Ticonderoga Alumni Association